- Cake Flour100 Grams
- Salt1/2 Tablespoons
- Sugar1 Tablespoons
- Warm milk160 Milliliters
- Butter2 Tablespoons
- Condensed milk40 Grams
- Marshmallows15 Grams
- Heavy Cream200 Grams
- Icing Sugar
For this Taiwan series, we have Micky Lan from Taoyuan, Taiwan to teach us how to make Pop Over. A new pastry that is popular in Japan and USA. Micky and Alvin met each other through mutual friends almost 6 years ago! In September 2012, Alvin visited Taiwan for the first time and met up with Micky again. Back then, both of them were just starting to have interest in baking (for Micky) and cooking (for Alvin). They both talked about how their experience in the kitchen.
Little did they know that 3 years later, June 2015, Alvin went back Taiwan again and met up with Micky! Micky baked some focaccia bread which is probably the best that Alvin had ever tasted! Micky told Alvin that she will be quitting her full time job and will be the shop manager for Sieg cafe where she will be able to bake anything she wants! Then, Alvin was already in the midst of setting up Cultlinary.sg and told Micky that he will be back to film her baking session.
So in October 2015, Alvin returned to Taiwan again on a Cultlinary journey and made a pit stop at Sieg cafe. This is how this video came about! This is not just a video about food, but friendship too.
Special Thanks to Micky Lan and Debbie Lan for their warm hospitality for letting us use Sieg Cafe to film this episode. Thanks to Ron for being our videographer too! Visit Sieg Cafe in Taoyuan, Taiwan. Click https://www.facebook.com/SiegCafe/?fref=ts to visit their Facebook page!
Pop Over (6 portions for cupcake trays)
- Mix all the dry ingredients, cake flour, salt, sugar. Make sure you sieve the cake flour!
- Make sure the milk is warm and beat the eggs together with the warm milk.
- Create a hole in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the liquid. Keep mixing it.
- Add in the melted butter and continue to mix.
- Pour it onto the baking tray and preheat the oven to 220°c.
- 1st baking stage at 220°c for 15minutes to get it fluff up.
- Do not open the oven and continue the 2nd baking stage at 170°c for another 15minutes to ensure the pop over is fully bake internally.
- Let it cool down before pipping your filling.
Condensed Milk Cream filling
- Whip the heavy cream until it is like whipped cream. Stop when it is 80% dry. The whipped cream cannot be too “wet” or it wont stay.
- Add in the condensed milk and mix it with a spatula.
- Add some half of your marshmallows. Done!
How to decorate your pop over?
- Cut open the pop over in the middle.
- Pipe in the filling.
- Put some marshmallows.
- Sprinkle some icing over.
- *Optional* if you have strawberry, slice it and put it with the marshmallow. Add a mint leaf for a better visual effect!
The most mind-blowing earl grey pound cake by Micky! Can’t wait for her to teach us!