- All purpose flour175 Grams
- cold butter100 Gramsbutter has to be cold as youll need to blend it together with your flour to make it resemble breadcrumbs
- icing sugar/powdered sugar1 Tablespoons
- egg yolk1Do keep your egg whites for the meringue
- fresh lemon juice125 Milliliters
- zest from lemon2 lemons
- juice from 1 large orange(fresh) diluted with water200 Millilitersjuice your orange till there is no juice left and top it up to 200ml
- 1 egg and 3 yolks4 eggsDo keep your egg whites for the meringue
- caster sugar100 Grams
- cornflour2 Tablespoons
- butter85 Grams
- 4 egg white4
- caster sugar200 Grams
- cornflour2 Tablespoons
For pie/tart crust:
1) Blend all purpose flour, cold butter, icing and yolk from egg in a food processor till it resembles breadcrumbs
2) pour the dough mix onto a clean work bench and knead softly till dough comes together, roll into a ball and flatten before wrapping in cling film and chilling for at least 30 mins, meanwhile, preheat your oven to 200 degress celcius(convection)
3) roll out your pastry dough slightly big enough to cover a 23cm pie dish and drape over pie dish and prick holes with a fork.
4) blind bake for 15 mins with baking beans and remove beans and bake for another 5 mins.
For Lemon curd filling:
1)Juice orange and lemons and remove any seeds.
2)In a saucepan, pour the lemon juice mixture, corn flour and sugar and put on low heat and stirring occasionally.
3)when mixture thickens and bubbles, take the saucepan off the heat and add in the butter.
4)After the butter has melted, whisk in your 1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks, whisk hard but carefully lest u want scramble eggs.
5)Put back to heat till mixture thickens and remove, set aside while making your meringue.
1) start whisking your egg whites on medium low speed, adjust your oven temperature to 180 degrees celcius.
2) When egg whites start to hold their form when the mixer is lifted, add in sugar slowly (about 3 tbsp) a time and add the cornflour.
3)After sugar and cornflour is mixed in, pour the curd into the pie dish and top it off with the meringue.
4)Bake for 20 mins until meringue is coloured.
5)Let tart cool in pie dish for at least 30 mins before removing.
1) Use cold butter for pie dough, it makes kneading and cleaning up much much much easier.
2) Roll your dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper, it is much easier to work with and makes transferring the dough into the pie dish much easier.
3)If you do not have baking beans, use rice, blind baking is about having a weight to press down.
4)Do not over-mix your egg whites if not you would have to start over again.
5)To ensure that your meringue does not sink into the curd, spoon some to the side of the tart shell as an anchor before spooning the rest over.
6) I always like to familiarise myself with the recipe so that I get an idea of what to do. I also like to measure out my ingredients first as some steps require them to be added right after the previous step. Be safe, and most importantly, have fun!